Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Maya Lin's inspirational work, and a reader's comment

Maya Lin burst onto the art scene when she won the competition to create the Vietnam Veterans' War Memorial in Washington DC.  My draft number was 303, so I didn't have to go to Vietnam.  Nonetheless, I find it extraordinary.

But my favorite work of hers is this:


Called "Storm King Earthworks", it is installed in the Storm King Art Center in Mountainville, New York.

A similar photograph of this extraordinary work is seen at the top of each page of the PeaceWorks Project website.

A visitor to the site wrote me with this:

"I love your use of Maya Lin's very moving work.  Art should be about dialogue, and Lin's work (at least as explained through your eyes) seems to be about a dialogue between the living and the dead.  As if to say 'We acknowledge your passing.  And we'll do everything in our power to keep others from suffering the same fate.'
"If your PeaceWorks can foster a dialogue like that, they will have served a very important purpose.  Best of luck."


No comments:

Post a Comment